The Best Utility Knife to Buy in 2021 | Hand Tools
A utility knife is a versatile and multi-purpose tool that is used in everyday life for various tasks. A safe and sturdy utility knife is not a complicated tool but makes a massive difference in terms of efficiency and speed. Most utility knives have a basic structure – a blade tucked in a sturdy handle.
These knives are sometimes referred to as box knives because they are helpful in opening packages. However, they serve a variety of functions from food preparation to cutting off all sorts of materials. They are used to cut carpeting, cardboard, drywall, linoleum, shingles etc.
We have narrowed down the huge variety of multi-purpose utility knives and selected the top-rated knives from each category. This guide will help you select the best utility knife to buy in 2020.
Best Kitchen Utility Knife
Item Weight: 8 ounces
Product Dimensions: 16 x 3.75 x 1 inches
Handle length: 4.72 inch
Blade Material: Plastic
Blade Edge: Chef’s Knife
The Henckels International CLASSIC 8” Chef’s Knife features a fine-edged blade that retains sharpness. The satin-finished blade ensures precision cutting without leaving any crumbs. German Stainless steel makes the blade durable by preventing corrosion and stains.
This Spanish knife has a fully forged construction for efficient cutting. The ergonomic, triple-rivet handle gives a firm yet comfortable grip and prevents tiredness. The blade is equally useful for mincing, chopping, slicing, and dicing. It can be safely washed in a dishwasher. It is an all-purpose tool that is the need of all professional chefs and home kitchens.
- The blade is well made and holds the edge very well.
- The handle is extremely comfortable to use.
- The knife is budget-friendly and very reasonable in price.
- This is a versatile tool that can be used for all sorts of cutting.
- The edges may chip off after continued usage.
Item Weight: 8 ounces
Product Dimensions: 1.1 x 7.5 x 4.3 inches
Blade Material: Stainless Steel
Blade Edge: Chef’s Knife
Blade Length: 8 inches
This kitchen workhorse is the primary need of every home. The WUSTHOF 8” Classic Chef’s Knife is an all-purpose knife that perfectly chops, minces, slices and dices everything you need for meal preparation. The knife is the first choice of professional chefs and home users.
The handle is full tang, triple-riveted for an exceptionally comfortable fit and utmost durability. An 8” long blade and a 4.5” long handle with full bolster and finger guard give an extremely comfortable grip and full control over the knife. The synthetic material used in the handle will not discolor or fade away.
The blade is made from tempered high carbon stainless steel. The Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) makes the blade 20% sharper with double edge retention for smooth and fast cutting action.
- The blade is Razor-sharp and extremely versatile for all-purpose cutting.
- The handle is balanced and ergonomic and provides a very comfortable grip.
- This knife is Dishwasher-safe, but hand washing is more recommended.
- High carbon stainless steel blade remains new even after years of usage.
- It features a finger guard and full bolster for ultimate safety, control and comfort.
- It can break apart if it falls from height, such as a kitchen counter.
Best Utility Knife Blades
Item Weight: 0.2 pounds/ 3.2 ounces
Product Dimensions: 5.75 x 1.81 x 0.88 inches
Blade Material: Bi-metal
This IRWIN tools blue blade set comprise of 100 sharp blades. Each blade features a sharp steel edge and flexible backing for excellent cutting performance. This shatterproof blade is designed to retain its edge thrice longer than traditional carbide blades.
The blade’s body is flexible and will not break easily under stress. These knives feature a welded, bi-metal design that gives a sharp edge and flexible body. The shatter-resistant design improves safety and durability. These can be conveniently used in any utility knives without any problem.
- They are sharper than stock blades.
- They are very reasonable in price.
- The blade body can endure tremendous pressure because it has a flexible body.
- The handle is well designed and ergonomic.
- They may shatter if you use them too roughly.
- The dispenser is not well designed.
- Their endurance and strength are nearly similar to those of most stock blades.
Brand: GOLDBLATT INDUSTRIES LLC
Item Weight: 1.04 pounds
Product Dimensions: 7.4 x 3.9 x 1.4 inches
Colour: Metallic silver blades in a red dispenser
Blade Material: SK2M steel
Blade Edge: Serrated
Goldblatt heavy-duty blades are made from high-quality alloy steel that has a bi-metal composition. The high-end alloy steel and precision double honed edges increase the life of the blade 3X more significantly than the traditional carbon steel blades. It can bend and flex without breaking. The specialized four-notch design allows deeper cuts without applying extra force.
It comes with two convenient dispensers that allow you to take out one or five blades at once without injuring your hands.
The Goldblatt blades 100 pack blades come in a standard size that will fit all classic-sized utility knives. The blade thickness is 0.0236 inches/ 0.6mm. They are your ideal companion if you have to cut soft metal, linoleum, leather, pipes, rope, cardboard, or paper.
- SK2M steel used in making the blades make them durable and sturdy.
- The blades give a razor-sharp performance.
- They are general purpose blades that can be used for professional or DIY projects.
- It can be used on a wide variety of knives.
- The multiple cutting edges enhance friction and allow for faster cutting action.
- No cons were found; the product seems perfect.
Best Folding Utility Knife
Product Dimensions: 9 x 3.5 x 0.5 inches
Item Weight: 4.2 ounces
Blade material: Stainless Steel
Handle material: Aluminum
The Kobalt Quick-Change Folding Lockback knife is suitable for cutting anything with ease and efficiency. The quick-change blade replacement mechanism lets you change the blade within minutes without any hassle. Most of the extra blades from various brands can fit in this knife.
The Aviation-grade aluminum handle remains durable and sturdy even after years. It comes with ten; the recognized,minimiseorganisedTheir competitors can easily distinguish the LENOX Utility Knife blades costly; the multi-purpose pocket two extra blades placed in a safety dispenser. You can change the blade when the original one gets worn out by continued usage.
- These knives are well-built and sturdy.
- The blades are easy to change.
- The color is bright and makes it easier to find the knife even if it is mixed in clutter.
- It is compatible with all sorts of knives.
- No cons were found, the product is perfect.
Best Serrated Utility Knife
Brand: Mercer Culinary
Item Weight: 4.8 ounces
Product Dimensions: 5 x 1 x 18
Blade Material: Stainless Steel
Handle Material: Santoprene
Blade Edge: Serrated
Mercer culinary is a recognized name in kitchen essentials because of its premium quality products. This Millenia bread knife is another masterpiece from Mercer culinary popular among professional chefs and bakers. The highest quality Japanese steel blade has a razor-sharp edge for clean and efficient cutting.
The handle is ergonomic and provides a very comfortable yet steady grip. The combination of Santoprene and polypropylene makes the handle very durable. The finger points are textured to provide slip resistance and firm grip. It can be used to cut vegetables, fruits, or baked goods. Deboning, chopping, trimming, mincing, there is nothing this small kitchen monster can not do.
- It gives very smooth cuts without making crumbs.
- The knife is razor sharp so you must protect your fingers while using it.
- Very reasonable in price.
Item Weight: 3.2 ounces
Product Dimensions: 17 x 3.75 x 1.5 inches
Blade Material: High carbon stainless-stee
Handle Material: Rosewood
Blade Edge: Plain
The knife features serrated edges that cleanly slice through everything such as bread, cakes and sandwiches. It also cuts delicate fruits and vegetables without squashing them. It has a curved blade that facilitates slicing through a rocking motion and gives knuckle clearance for easy cutting.
Designed in Switzerland, the knife caters to the needs of professionals who are working in food preparation and service. The knife comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The knife is the best choice for bakers who need to cut pastries, bread and cakes.
- The wavy edges allow smooth cutting and minimize crumbs.
- The ergonomic non-slip Fibrox Pro handle provides a very comfortable and secure grip.
Best utility knife replacement blades
Item Weight: 7.8 ounces
Product Dimensions: 7 x 3.3 x 0.5 inches
Most of the brands make blades with similar features and consistent quality. But the thing that distinguishes Craftsman Utility blades from other competitors is their price tag. Luckily, these awesome blades are available at a very reasonable price.
The precision-honed edge makes the blades extensively durable by improving their cutting life. They are slightly thicker than other blades so they will not snap under pressure. The 100 pack comes in a plastic dispenser which keeps them organized and secure. As other blades, they also come with a slight coating of oil which often bothers some users.
- The 100 blades pack comes at a very affordable price.
- Precision honed edge increases cutting efficiency and durability.
- The thicker blades offer more resistance to bending.
- Some blades may have an excess oil coating.
- The plastic dispenser is a bit tricky to use.
Brand: Lenox Tools
Item Weight: 0.05 pounds
Product Dimensions: 2 x 2 x 6 inches
Colour: Gold and Silver
Blade Material: Specialized Bi-metal
The LENOX Utility Knife blades can be easily distinguished by their competitors due to their appearance. The bright gold cutting edge of these blades catches the user’s attention immediately. The high-speed steel edge with a titanium coating not only gives the attractive gold color but also keeps the edges sharp even after long-term usage.
Bi-metal construction makes them shatterproof and durable. The blades come with four notches instead of two, allowing them to penetrate deeper into the knife handle for more sturdiness and versatility.
- High-speed steel edge with titanium coating for excellent cutting performance.
- Shatterproof bi-metal construction ensures more durability.
- A four-notch design allows deeper blade penetration.
- The blades are very expensive.
Best Retractable Utility Knife
Brand: Gerber Gear
Item Weight: 0.14 pounds/ 2.5 ounces
Product Dimensions: Open: 5.1 inches; Closed: 2.8 inches
Blade Material: Stainless Steel
Handle Material: Stainless Steel
Blade Length: 2.25 inches
Lock Type: Liner lock
The Gerber E.A.B Lite features a 2 ¼ inch replaceable blade. It is a compact, pocket-size cutter that comes in use for a variety of daily routine tasks such as opening boxes and cutting ropes.
The blade comes in a tapered shape with rounded edges for safety and efficiency. The stainless steel handle has deep finger grooves for an easy and secure grip. It can be secured in the pocket and can be used anywhere, anytime.
The total length of EAB light is 5.1 inches which reduces to 2.8 inches when closed. It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- It features a contractor-grade utility blade that can be replaced conveniently.
- The deep finger grooves support a secure and comfortable fit.
- The handle can double as a pocket or money clip.
- Stainless steel handle remains rust-free for years.
- No cons were found, the product seems perfect.
Brand: BIG IDEA DESIGN
Item Weight: 2.39 ounces
Product Dimensions: 4.1 x 2.6 x 0.9 inches
Blade Material: Titanium
Handle Material: Titanium
The Titanium Pocket Tool is a compact knife as well as a pocket multi-purpose tool. It features Flat Head Screwdriver, Internal Magnet, Hex Bit Opening, Measurement Cues, Removable Pocket Clip, and Bottle Opener. The Titanium makes it durable so that it can withstand constant use. There are cheaper models and much more expensive ones, but this one is the best.
- The ergonomic handle makes it very comfortable.
- Lifetime warranty
- You can carry it conveniently in your pocket or tool belt
- Easy to operate (one-handed)
- You can change blades very conveniently.
- It has an integrated bottle opener.
- Not every blade fits in it.
How to Choose the Best Utility Knife – Buying Guides:
People are often confused when selecting the best utility knife. However, you need to consider a few things while choosing the best one for your purpose. Let’s discuss them in detail.
Type of Materials:
The construction material determines the overall quality of the utility knife. Everyone wants a knife that has a sturdy design and remains usable for a long time.
Aluminum is lightweight and can be used in knives that do not have to do heavy-duty cutting. It gives an attractive look and an edgy finish. Steel knives are very sturdy and can be used for tough jobs. Stainless steel is also widely used in making knife blades because of its corrosion resistance. It can be used in knives that are always exposed to moisture such as kitchen knives.
Safety is another factor you should carefully consider. The type of blade plays a significant role in the safety factor of a knife. The auto-retractable blades retract slowly to their place inside the handle just with the press of a button. These types of blades produce minimal injuries and provide more excellent safety.
Knives are made of different materials – a handle material and a blade material. Most often, both of them are separate. If you are looking for a knife for heavy-duty work, choose some tough ones. Good quality knives that are designed for durability use of high-quality materials and standard manufacturing procedures.
Serrated vs Plain Edge:
When you buy a pocket knife, serrated vs straight edge becomes a question. This decision becomes tough when certain brands offer a variety or give you a chance to grab your favorite one. Serrations produce higher pressure per area and are thinner than the straight edges. Therefore serrations help in the more profound and faster cutting.
Size of Blade or Blade Length:
Knives come with various blade lengths. They may reach up to 7.5 inches or maybe as low as 2 inches. The knives with smaller blades are equally functional and practical as the longer blade knives are. However, longer blades are more durable than small ones.
Everyone has a particular budget which they can spend on purchasing knives. One can easily buy a substandard knife at lower prices. However, no one wants a knife to be wasted after a few months of usage. More reliable brands have higher prices, but their quality makes them last for years.
Before you buy the knife, you should know where you will use it. For example, a knife intended for cutting cardboard is different from the one in the kitchen. If you need knives every time with you, then pocket knives are a better choice.
Stainless steel may also corrode the knives. Most people use the dishwasher for washing their knives. This may quickly rust the blades. Alloy steel or especially formulated steel gives more resistance to corrosion and rusting.
The handle is another crucial consideration because it determines your grip on the knife. Handles are made from different materials. Some are ergonomic and durable. The materials should be able to endure all sorts of harsh conditions. They should be soft and comfortable to minimize user fatigue.
Another aspect is the opening mechanism. The speed and comfort of engaging a knife are essential, especially for heavy-duty cutting work. They can be manual, switchblade, or assisted opening mechanism.
The best utility knife is an essential tool you must have in your toolbox. Most often these knives have a removable razor blade. They are useful for cutting any sort of material. They help cut cardboard, carpets, trim vinyl flooring, cut wires etc.
You can select any one of these depending on the type of work you are going to do with them.
- J.A. Henckels CLASSIC Chef’s Knife – Best Budget Utility Knife
- Kobalt Utility Knife – Best Pocket Utility Knife
- Victorinox Wavy Edge Bread Knife – Best Knife for Kitchen Use
- Gerber Gear Lite – Best Retractable Utility Knife
- Lenox Utility Knife Blades – Best Blades for Utility Knife
- WUSTHOF Chef’s Knife – Best Overall Utility knife
Thank you for reading!