6 Tips For Choosing The Right Blinds For Every Room
By: John Garcia | Date Posted: September 27, 2022
Table of Contents
One of the most critical parts of any room is the window treatments, in this case, blinds. While many homeowners might put the choice off until later, window treatments are a big decision. First, there’s the matter of security or privacy which a smart choice of blinds should provide.
Choosing The Right Blinds For Every Room
In terms of style, window blind manufacturers today have leveled up their styles to provide buyers with more design scheme options to choose from.
That way, instead of awkwardly sticking out, window blinds can make a room look more put-together, cozier, and more comfortable. Selecting the right one gives you the best of both worlds regarding functionality and aesthetics.
When there are so many different types and styles of window blinds to choose from, it can be a challenging pursuit to come up with the best one. Read through this article for some helpful tips.
Decide On How Much Light And Privacy You Want
Each window blind will be able to block out light while still providing the most privacy. Hence, deciding on how much light and privacy you want is a good starting point. Do you want your room bright? Or would you rather have that buttoned-up feel by using blackout shades?
Modern blinds have fabric options so that you may choose their thickness like curtains. If you live far from your neighbors, sheer blinds are ideal for letting in plenty of natural light during the day. Alternatively, you can have thicker ones for more private spaces, such as bedrooms, and thinner ones for common areas like your living room.
Narrow Down Based On The Type
Nowadays, window blind manufacturers are getting more innovative in their designs, so you’re no longer limited to plastic blinds found in offices and older homes. You can choose from various types, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Ultimately, the deciding factor is your personal preference as a homeowner.
To help you decide, here’s a brief run-down of the most common types of blinds:
- Wood blinds are a classic. It’s timeless and elegant and is often considered a modern shutter alternative. Wood blinds can come in either light or dark hues.
- Vertical blinds are the most practical choice, as they’re easy to clean and provide the lightest and most privacy control. Vertical blinds can also be one of the most affordable types to opt for.
- Faux wood blinds are ideal if you want wood blinds but want something more moisture-resistant and durable. These are great for humid environments, such as the kitchen or garage.
- Thermal blinds are preferred by homeowners who want to have an eco-friendlier home. This helps keep your space warm while conserving electricity, particularly during the cold months.
- Natural fabrics blinds are great for homeowners who want the best of what both blinds and curtains can offer. Since it’s made of natural fabrics like cotton, this type of blind can maintain a room’s pleasant and inviting feel.
Consider Your Home’s Overall Style
Given that there are many different types of blinds to choose from, you may select one that complements the overall aesthetic of your home. Gone are the days when blinds don’t fit in the home’s interior. Now, you can have stylish ones that complement the space so that every room can look its best.
When blinds are used, they cover up the entire window. This makes it one of the most prominent room areas, comparable to a wall.
For example, country-style homes benefit well from fabric and traditional wood blinds. On the other hand, modern homes need sleeker alternatives, such as lightweight blinds.
Think About Privacy
When deciding what type of blinds to opt for, don’t forget the privacy you want in each room. For this, you may have to assess each room individually based on where they’re facing and where the windows are positioned.
Generally, any blind that blocks out light also means privacy is guaranteed. Onlookers from the outside won’t be able to see you from the inside. However, the decision becomes more complicated if you want to let more light in yet still have enough privacy.
A good blinds manufacturer can present you with the best options to devise a compromise. However, you may want to explore choices like:
- Voile is a sheer fabric. It allows light in, but it’s unique in such a way that it inhibits views from the outside. This means you’ll have complete privacy while still getting enough natural light during the day.
- Venetian blinds have an innovative tilt-slat system that angles the blinds so that from a person’s eye line, it’s opaque but still permeable enough for light to flow through.
Factor In The Safety Of Your Loved Ones
As with any window treatment type, blinds aren’t all that perfect. It has a few disadvantages, one of which is that it poses a higher safety hazard to households with children. A common choking hazard for young children is the blinds’ cord.
You can’t afford to compromise your family’s safety when regarding blinds. The child hazards inherent in older blinds have been addressed by utilizing the most recent modernization processes.
Have The Right Measurements
Both horizontal and vertical blinds that are ill-fitting are extreme-style offenders. It would be best if you had the exact measurements to make your blinds fit every window like a glove. If not, even the most expensive blinds will look cheap and unprofessionally made when the difference in size and measurements are evident.
You can do this if you have a metal tape measure at home. However, observe the perception of the blinds supplier you’re talking to. Reputable ones won’t rely on your measurement; they’ll go as far as visiting your home and taking their own measurements.
In the past, blinds were merely considered a form of window covering. Nowadays, beautifully designed blinds can help elevate a room’s interior.
Whatever the type of blinds you choose, the most important thing to remember is never to skimp on the quality. Blinds are semi-permanent fixtures in your room, unlike curtains that you must replace often. Consider all your preferences regarding its style, features, energy-saving benefits, and privacy. In doing so, you’ll ultimately install window blinds that you’ll be happy with in the long run.
Thank you for reading!