Tips on How to Turn Your Shipping Container into a Shed or a Workspace
By: Alex | Date Posted: June 15, 2023
Table of Contents
Now that the summer is here, you’re probably looking forward to spending more time outside in the back garden. Having ashed in your outdoor space provides easy access to all your gardening gear and is also the perfect solution for storing other items such as power tools, heavy equipment, and old furniture–the list goes on and on. If you are an artist or engage in activities such as woodworking, a shed can also double as a studio or workroom.
Did you know that shipping containers can convert into personal outdoor sheds? Shipping containers make excellent sheds because they’re spacious, durable, and cost-effective. They’re also customizable, which means you can design a unique space suited precisely to your needs.
Read on to discover why shipping containers make the most unique backyard sheds, and how you can get started with your own, just in time for the summer season.
The Unique Benefits of a Shipping Container Shed
You’ll Save Money
When you hear ‘shipping container’ – using it as a shed may not be the first thing that comes to mind. However, there are many benefits to converting a shipping container into a useful, personal shed. For one thing, they are relatively low cost in comparison with traditional building materials, so they are an affordable option for making a shed.
With the money you save on a shipping container, you spend some extra cash on a new lawnmower or workbench you’ve had your eye on.
They’re Built to Last
They are also incredibly durable because they’re made from steel that’s designed to withstand harsh weather conditions. They’re built to be water-resistant, pest-proof, and structurally stable. By using a shipping container, your shed will provide years of storage and workroom solutions.
One of the most unique and attractive qualities of shipping container sheds is that they can be modified for multiple purposes. You can include windows, doors, electrical wiring, ventilation, and other features to meet your customized needs.
They also come in a variety of sizes, so you could find a container that is large enough to fit a boat and vehicles or small enough to create the perfect, cozy workspace for your activities and hobbies.
You Can Move Them Around
Shipping containers are designed to be portable, giving you the opportunity to relocate your shed if needed. This freedom of portability will give you flexibility if you ever decide to change locations or reposition the shed with your home’s outdoor space.
You can Build Them Quickly and Easily
In general, it takes less time and effort to convert and construct a shipping container into a shed compared to building one from scratch. Containers already have a structural framework, and this greatly simplifies the building and construction process.
Speaking of the building process, let’s now examine how you can turn a shipping container into a new and exciting shed for your backyard.
The Steps to Converting a Shipping Container into a Shed
The process of turning a container into a shed is simple and straightforward. Here is a brief outline of how it works. Remember to always consult with professionals when necessary.
- The first step is to source your container from a trusted distributor. Look online for a shipping container company that offers a variety of containers to choose from, upfront pricing, reputable customer service, automated checkouts, and convenient smooth delivery right to your door.
- The next step is to find the right container for your needs from the online platform you’ve found. People generally purchase containers that are 20ft-40ft in height for personal use, and ones that are made from COR-TEN steel because of their durability and strength.
- Once you find the right container, you’ll start the design process. Sketch out a layout of the interior and exterior design, and don’t forget to include things such as windows, doors, electrical outlets, and insulation. Consult with your city’s zoning regulations to ensure that you have all the permits required and that everything is up to current standards.
- Electrical and plumbing considerations are crucial to this stage—you may want to consult with professionals to facilitate electrical and plumbing installations in your shed to ensure compliance with your city’s building codes and regulations.
- During the design process, you’ll also consider floor options for your shed. Whichever material you choose for the floor, ensure that it is sturdy, resistant to moisture, and can withstand a lot of weight.
- Next comes the site and building preparation stages. Consider comfort level and energy efficiency by insulation and ventilation. You may want to consult with a design expert to create the optimal shed space and add details such as skylight windows.
- When your structure has been reinforced and the shed is safely secured into the ground, you can begin adding electrical wiring, a fresh coat of paint, and all of your tools, equipment, workbenches, or art studio supplies.
- Remember to include security and easy access to your shed. Install a lockable door and depending on what you’ll store inside, include features such as an alarm system, motion-sensor light, and surveillance cameras to ensure the safety of your belongings.
One of the reasons why so many Americans are converting shipping containers into personal sheds and other innovative storage solutions is because they provide the freedom to get creative in spaces that aren’t typically viewed as such. Shipping containers provide endless design opportunities and can hold far more weight than the average, conventional garden shed.
Shipping container architecture is a popular design and living aesthetic that spans worldwide because it breaks away from the everyday and mundane. Furthermore, if and when the time comes for you to move, and if you’d prefer to leave your shed behind, the unique backyard addition could also increase your home’s value and price.
If you are looking for a way to increase storage or build a separate workspace in your home. While simultaneously adding innovative design to your life, a shipping container shed might be just what you need.
Thank you for reading!