Best Electric Lawn Mower
By: John Garcia | Date Posted: February 17, 2023
Table of Contents
- Several Electrified Mower Options
- Gas or Electric Mower?
- Lawnmower Maintenance
- Cash Invested in Mowers
- Cut Grass With Ease Anywhere You Go
- Cutting Capacity of Lawnmowers
- How Soon Is Too Soon to Mow the Lawn?
- Best 5 Best Electric Lawn Mowers[+]
- Best Overall: Ryobi 38″ 100Ah Electric Rear Engine Riding Lawnmower
- Best Bang For The Buck: Sun Joe MJ401E-PRO Electric Lawn Mower
- Best Self-Propelled: Ego Power+ Lm2102sp
- Best Corded: Greenworks 9 Amp 14-Inch Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- Best For Small Yards: American Lawn Mower Company 50514 14-Inch 11-Amp
With the ban on “small off-road engines,” which include gas-powered yard tools like leaf blowers and lawnmowers, California is paving the way for a nationwide transition to electric yard care. Did you realize you may generate as much smog in one hour of lawn mowing as you would in three hundred miles of driving? According to the California Air Resources Board, that is the case.
In addition, the size of individual lots is getting smaller. The usual lot size for a new single-family detached house has dropped from more than 10,000 square feet to a little over 8,000 square feet over the past two decades. Since there is less room for grass on smaller properties. Lawn care product makers stand to gain from these changes because electric mowers have improved to the point where they can compete with gas-powered models. No time is better than now to switch to an electric lawn mower.
Several Electrified Mower Options
Electric lawnmowers come in a wide variety of forms, some of which are walk-behind models, some of which are riding mowers, and still others which are robots. Some electric lawnmowers can even mow your lawn autonomously. Electric lawn mowers are available, some of which allow the user to ride on the device, while others do not offer this feature. Our search can be narrowed down even further by allowing us to choose a model of mower from those that are either corded or cordless, as well as those that are either self-propelled or manual push mowers.
This provides us with the opportunity to select the type of mower that best suits our needs. Because of this, we will have a wider range of choices available to us, all of which should be taken into consideration. The broader category of electric riding lawn mowers, which are also frequently referred to as ride-on mowers, includes both zero-turn mowers and normal lawn tractors as two of the types of mowers that fall within its purview.
These are the two main subcategories that are a part of the larger category that is being discussed here. More than a dozen distinct models of robotic lawnmowers, which are also sometimes referred to as “smart” lawnmowers, are already available on the market. These lawnmowers are gaining more and more favor in recent years. When you wish to trim the grass on your property, you may now purchase lawnmowers like these.
Gas or Electric Mower?
To mow the lawn with ease, you can use a walk-behind electric mower, which comes in both corded and cordless varieties. When mowing, a corded mower needs to be plugged into an outdoor electrical outlet, as opposed to a cordless mower’s battery power source. Both electric mowers have their benefits, but one stands out from the other.
Both corded and cordless mowers are extremely low-maintenance, requiring only regular sharpening of the blades. The cordless mower’s battery, however, is the most difficult component to maintain. To continue using the mower, you must charge it after each usage; otherwise, you may have to wait until the next day to do so. After only 7 years, the battery in your cordless mower may no longer be able to retain a charge. The lifespan and power of your battery will naturally decline over time.
Cash Invested in Mowers
If you’re on a tight budget, you might want to consider a corded lawn mower. You will eventually need to swap out the battery on your cordless lawn mower. However, the battery systems of most electric mowers can be used in other pieces of yard maintenance equipment from the same manufacturer. You can get a lot more work done on a single charge if your mower has many batteries and you replace the used one with a new one when it gets low. Depending on the cost of electricity where you live, operating a corded lawn mower can cost anywhere from twenty cents to sixty cents per hour.
Cut Grass With Ease Anywhere You Go
With a cordless lawn mower, you may quickly and effortlessly cut the grass with no effort. Mowing further from the house and around obstacles like trees and flower beds is much easier when there is no cord tethering you to the mower. Most of the time, cords are a nuisance. They will require a lot of manual labor to move out of the way, and they will slow down your mower’s progress. Compared to its corded version, a cordless lawn mower is heavier due to its battery pack.
Cutting Capacity of Lawnmowers
The electric lawn mower will save you time, but it will only work if plugged into an electrical outlet. The most important factor to consider is whether or not it will require an electrical outlet or run-on batteries. While corded mowers have more power than their cordless counterparts, battery technology is improving rapidly. If the battery voltage is increased, the lawn mower will have greater power and torque, allowing it to cut through the grass more quickly.
How Soon Is Too Soon to Mow the Lawn?
Given the comparison that was just made, it is probably not essential for me to point out that a corded lawn mower will serve you for as long as you require it to despite the fact that I am going to do so anyway (unless of course you pull a Clark Griswold and forget to plug it in). The vast majority of cordless power tools have a usage time that ranges anywhere from fifty to ninety minutes before the battery either runs out of juice or needs to be recharged. This usage time is measured in minutes.
Best 5 Best Electric Lawn Mowers
Best Overall: Ryobi 38″ 100Ah Electric Rear Engine Riding Lawnmower
|Item Weight||595 Pounds|
Three 10-amp brushless motors provide 48 volts, enough to run the mower for about 2.5 hours. When the battery runs out, it can take up to six hours to fully recharge. This electric lawn mower may be small, but its 16-inch wheels allow it to traverse any surface with ease. The 12-gauge steel deck and sturdy framework give this model outstanding durability.
Dual blades on a 38-inch cutting deck give you the freedom to set the grass at just the right length with 12 different settings for the cutting height. The blades, lights, cruise control, and USB charging outlet may all be activated with a single handle. There’s a built-in hitch, a battery indicator, and space to stash your drink of choice.
- Includes: (1) Ryobi 38 inches 100 Ah Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower RY48111
- 3 Brushless motors for superior power and performance
- Up to 2.5 hours of runtime or 2.5 acres of mowing
- Charges through standard 120-Volt outlet
- Appropriate for lots as large as 2.5 acres
- This movie has a 2.5-hour runtime.
- Wheel Size: 16 in.
- Management console
- In twelve distinct places to cut
- Difficulty in charging
Best Bang For The Buck: Sun Joe MJ401E-PRO Electric Lawn Mower
|Style||Pro Version Original|
With a 14-inch cutting swath and a grass bag that attaches to the back, this Sun Joe model is one of the best corded electric mowers on the market. Extra features include a powerful 13-amp motor and a backside discharge chute. The cutting mechanism of this mower can be adjusted in height, so you can get it just right for mowing short, warm-season grasses like Bermuda, zoysia, or centipede (from just over 1 inch to 214 inches).
This plastic mower is as environmentally friendly as it gets, as there is no need to have gasoline on hand or replace spark plugs. The grass cuttings can be dumped either through the rear 10.6-gallon bag or the side discharge chute. Sun Folding and having a nonslip grip on the handle make Joe’s mower convenient to store. The usage of a 12 or 14-gauge extension cord is required for use in the great outdoors (not included).
SaleBest Bang For The Buck: Sun Joe MJ401E-PRO Electric Lawn Mower
- [POWERFUL]: 13-amp motor cuts a 14-inch wide path.No Load Speed (rpm) 3500
- [ADJUSTABLE DECK]: Tailor cutting height with 3-position height control
- [STEEL BLADES]: Durable 14-Inch steel blade cuts with precision
- [ACCESSORIES]: Includes 10.6-gal bag and discharge chute
- the best value for the money among the ones we looked at
- Compared to other corded devices, this one seems more sturdy.
- The successful operation, even on the toughest warm-season grasses
- Conveniently small for stowing
- Comparatively heavier than the other corded models we tried
- The reduced maneuverability of smaller wheels is one disadvantage.
- Problematic handle-adjustment mechanism
Best Self-Propelled: Ego Power+ Lm2102sp
|Style||Self-Propelled / (2)4.0Ah Battery|
|Power Source||Battery Powered|
|Item Weight||62.61 Pounds|
It takes 60 minutes to fully recharge the 56V 7AH battery, which provides power for up to an hour of use. To adjust the speed of the self-propelled feature, just flip a lever. The motor’s cutting power increases as the cutting task becomes more challenging, such as when encountering thick weeds or tall grass.
Manual operation is straightforward, even on rough terrain, thanks to the huge wheels when the self-propelled feature is not in use. The foldable and adjustable handle makes it suitable for use by people of different statures.
- Up to 65 minutes run time on a single charge when used with the two included EGO 56V 4.0Ah ARC Lithium batteries
- Variable Speed Self-Propel: 1.3 MPH to 3.1 MPH
- 6-position cutting height adjustments: 1.5"- 4"
- 3-in-1 function: mulching, bagging, side discharge
- It compares favorably to other cordless mowers in its pricing range but performs better overall.
- Self-propulsion that may be adjusted with ease
- Cutting force is automatically increased in adverse situations.
- A noisy motor
- Slippery on wet grass or slopes.
- Reduced battery drain thanks to self-propulsion.
Best Corded: Greenworks 9 Amp 14-Inch Corded Electric Lawn Mower
|Style||2 x 4.0Ah|
|Power Source||Battery Powered|
With its 14-inch cutting width and 9-amp electric motor, this Greenworks corded electric mower can quickly and easily tackle even the largest lawns. The mower’s push-button ignition and graduated wheel size make it simple to maneuver (6-inch front wheels and 7-inch rear wheels). Holding down a safety handle activates the mower’s safety features, and releasing it stops the mower.
The cutting height of this mower can be adjusted from 1 3/4 inches to 3 inches, and it comes with a 10-gallon rear bag for collecting grass clippings and a mulching feature. When you’re done using it for the day, simply fold the handle and store it flat against a wall in the cellar, the attic, or the tool shed. An outside extension chord of 12 or 14 gauge is required for use (not included).
SaleBest Corded: Greenworks 9 Amp 14-Inch Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- CORDLESS LAWN MOWER – Get more done, faster, with Greenworks electric lawn mowers. This 40V self-propelled lawn mower provides to 70 minutes of run-time on (2)...
- DURABLE 21” STEEL DECK – The 21” steel deck allows you to handle large areas of grass quickly and easily. Brushless motor provides more torque, quiet...
- SMART PACE – The smart pace self-propelled system automatically & smoothly adjusts to your walking speed. Dual battery ports with automatic switchover for longer,...
- VERSATILE – Single lever, 7-position height adjustment for the best cut in all environments. The 3-in-1 design allows you to mulch, side discharge, and rear bag...
- The handle is ergonomically designed to reduce stress and fatigue.
- Superior noise reduction compared to corded alternatives
- Heavy vehicles with big tires can travel over uneven terrain with ease.
- the least effective of the corded tools we tested
- The screw-clamp grips’ adjustment knobs are finicky.
- The necessity of using a squeeze lever to function is not universally welcomed
Best For Small Yards: American Lawn Mower Company 50514 14-Inch 11-Amp
|Brand||American Lawn Mower Company|
|Power Source||Corded Electric|
American Lawn Mower Company’s corded electric mower has useful features at a reasonable price. It has a motor that draws 11 amps and can make a 14-inch swath width. Adjusting from 1 inch to 2.5 inches, it is ideal for warm-season grasses with a low growth rate.
If you have a tiny yard and don’t want to take up too much room, this mower is for you. As far as controls go, we appreciated the non-slip grip handle. The small, lightweight, compact body, combined with the huge 7-inch rear wheels, made it simple to turn and move around in congested areas. Furthermore, it made short work of even the densest, weediest grass. Since its highest cutting height is only 2.5 inches, it had trouble with overgrown lawns. Other mowers could handle grass up to 3 inches in height with ease.
- Electric lawn mower with a powerful 11-Amp motor to cut all types of grasses; High efficiency, yet low-maintenance motor for gas-like cutting power
- Corded electric lawn mower with a large 14" cutting width and 5 changeable cutting height adjustments from 1" to 2.5"
- 2-in-1 rear discharge and mulching system that includes a hard-top 9-gal grass bag with grass level indicator for easy disposal
- Corded lawn mower with adjustable handle height and position for easy and comfortable handling; Compact and slim frame with foldable handles for easy storage and...
- Little, so it’s simple to stow
- Portable and lightweight
- Affordable cost
- A bagger’s front wheels may rise off the ground when nearly loaded.
- gets mired in the weeds
- Not as sturdy as competing corded models
Thank you for reading!