The Best Pliers to Buy in 2021 | Hand Tools
We all know the value of a good set of pliers. They range from basic ones just enough for completing your DIYs to more complex, heavy-duty pliers made for specialized jobs. When searching for a set of pliers, you will come across countless pliers featuring different qualities and specifications.
Most of the leading brands focus on their material, manufacturing procedures, and quality control. Therefore it is better to rely on famous brands to get better quality pliers. However, if you have severe issues with the budget, you can select the cheaper ones.
Choosing the best pliers set is not as simple as it sounds. You will have to do a lot of research before you buy one. We have done this part for you. Here is our comparison and analysis of the pliers manufactured by leading brands. Reading further will help you know which are the best pliers and plier sets to buy in 2020.
All-Purpose Pliers Sets:
WORKPRO 5-piece Pliers Set with Storage Pouch, 7-Inch Long Nose, 6-Inch Diagonal, 8-Inch Groove Joint, 6-Inch Slip Joint, 8-Inch Linesman, Portable Home Hand Tools
Item Weight: 3.02 pounds
Product Dimensions: 9.17 x 5.47 x 3.46 inches
these pliers set come with all essential pliers you may need in your workshop or Jobsite. This is a five-piece plier set that comes in a storage pouch. It contains a 6-inch long nose, 8-inch groove Joint, 6-inch diagonal, 6-inch slip joint, and 7-inch linesman pliers.
Each of these pliers is made of 50CrV steel that has been heat-treated to leave a blackening surface. It ensures hardness, sturdiness, durability, and a better clamping force. The cutting edges are hardened to increase cutting potential. A fine polish of transparent electrophoretic coating and grease prevents the pliers from corrosion.
The ergonomic bi-metal handle provides a comfortable grip with slip resistance for more efficient working. You can use this versatile set for home maintenance, DIY tasks, and professional work.
- The set includes all the essential pliers.
- The pliers have precise cutting edges.
- The pliers feature solid steel construction for durability and optimum performance.
- The handle provides a comfortable grip.
- It has a very reasonable price.
- Channel locks are a bit loose, and you can not tighten them quickly because they are a rivet style.
Stanley 84-079 6-Piece Set:
Item Weight: 16 ounces
Product Dimensions: 11.7 x 7.1 x 0.5 inches
The Stanley 84-079 is an ideal choice for hobbyists who want to add a great toolset to their toolbox. It is also a suitable gift for someone you love. They are reliable for light to medium-duty projects. All six pieces in the set are made from forged steel for better durability.
Their ergonomic handle allows holding the pliers comfortably and securely without slipping. Machined jaws make a secure grip against the materials. The cutting pliers have induction hardened cutting edges for maximum performance.
The Stanley tools are strictly compliant with ANSI specifications. They are cost-effective, meaning that when seen concerning their quality, they are very reasonable in price. This is a versatile set that will cover all your basic requirements without the hassle of purchasing more pliers.
- It features all products with ergonomic, comfortable, slip-resistant handles.
- They are reliable for everyday tasks at home or Jobsite.
- It has all versatile pliers available in the set.
- The set is very reasonably priced.
- They are miniature, they do not have the full size, but they work well for smaller items like electronics and for reaching tighter spaces.
FASTPRO 7-Piece Utility Pliers and Wrench Set, Includes Slip Joint Pliers, Long Nose Pliers, Diagonal Pliers, Groove Joint Pliers, Linesman Pliers, and Adjustable Wrench, Dipped Handle
Brand: FUTE – FastPro
Item Weight: 3.06 pounds
Product Dimensions: 10.67 x 6.65 x 1.97 inches
Colour: Black and Red
With a complete collection of necessary pliers, this FAST PRO 7-piece Utility Pliers and Wrench set is perfect for professional and DIY work. The drop-forged, heat-treated steel makes the pliers sturdy and durable.
The precision-machined jaws make them suitable for any heavy-duty work.
Smooth jaw adjustment saves time and adjusts perfectly for the right size. The handle is cushioned to provide a non-slip, comfortable grip to the users. The pliers are compliant with ANSI specifications.
- Forged-steel construction provides the utmost durability.
- The machined jaws enable you to grip items more firmly and securely.
- Hardened cutting edges provide more convenient cutting.
- The Cushioned double-dipped handle provides extra comfort along with a secure grip.
- Seven essential pliers and an adjustable wrench help you complete any task at hand with convenience.
- The pliers are a bit smaller in size.
KNIPEX Tools 00 20 06 US2 Pliers Wrench 3-Piece Set
Brand: Knipex Tools LP
Item Weight: 3.5 pounds
Product Dimensions: 13.78 x 7.68 x 0.98 inches
Knipex pliers can replace a full set of metric and inch wrenches. The set contains 7-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch wrench pliers. These pliers feature smooth parallel jaws for the smooth installation of plated fittings. The hand tools are simple and convenient. They adjust with a single button located on the tool.
The Knipex pliers feature a slim profile head which makes them ideal for fitting into small places. These versatile and precise pliers are a great tool to have in your toolbox for home and professional uses. They are designed for fastening, binding, holding, and gripping.
- The slim profile design head reaches into tight spaces.
- It is easy to adjust by just pressing a button.
- Smooth, parallel gripping jaws ensure a stronghold.
- It can adjust into widths for both metric and inch workpieces.
- The only thing that would make it better is that it should come in a proper organizer, packet, or box.
Groove Joint Pliers:
IRWIN VISE-GRIP GrooveLock Pliers Set, V-Jaw, 2-Piece (2078709)
Item Weight: 1.4 pounds
Product Dimensions: 0.75 x 7 x 11.6 inches
These IRWIN VISE-GRIP pliers set consists of 8-inch and 10-inch Groove Lock pliers. These pliers come with Press-n-Slide buttons to adjust the lower jaws faster than any other groove joint pliers. These versatile pliers are applicable for round, square, flat, and hex shapes.
The non-slip and anti-pinch grip of the handles makes them comfortable and allows continuous use without fatigue. A greater number of groove positions enables better hand location and grip for efficient working. The GrooveLock pliers can be adjusted through ratcheting action without the need to press a button.
- The ratcheting mechanism saves time and makes the work easier.
- The handles have a non-slip, comfortable grip.
- The pliers are versatile and durable.
- They are made for precision and perfection.
- They are not designed for heavy-duty professional work.
- The angel of the channel is not perfect for wider angles. They misalign the handle.
CRAFTSMAN Pliers, 8 & 10-Inch, 2-Piece Groove Joint Set (CMHT82547)
Item Weight: 1.52 pounds
Product Dimensions: 12.32 x 6.14 x 1.73 inches
This CRAFTSMAN 2 piece pliers set is a versatile tool that is an essential part of every household. This handy tool provides easy repair and maintenance around the house and in your garden.
The drop-forged steel provides ultimate strength and durability for all types of tasks. The handle has a multi-zone made of bi-material grips, which provide comfort and a secure grip. Precision machined jaws are designed for all kinds of twisting, gripping, holding, and cutting jobs.
- You can use pliers in unexpectedly tight spots.
- The handle features multi-zone bi-material grips for comfort and control.
- They are very reasonable in price.
- The pliers come with a lifetime warranty.
- The handle joint may become loose.
Best Lineman Pliers:
Southwire Tools & Equipment SCP9TPCD-US 9″ High-Leverage Side-Cutting Pliers Fish Tape Puller & Crimper w/Dip Grip
Item Weight: 1.04 pounds
Product Dimensions: 0.75 x 3.88 x 11.75 inches
These side-cutting pliers have a smooth open/ close action that makes them stand out from the rest. They come with an integrated crimper and fish tape puller for efficiency. Manufactured in the USA, these tools promise outstanding quality because the American forged steel makes them endure the typical Jobsite wear and tear.
They are assembled with a hot rivet technology for precision and durability. The tapered nose can reach confined spaces and narrow spots. These Southwire pliers are a versatile tool that can be used to cut all sorts of wires.
- They are made from American forged steel.
- These pliers are ideal for stripping and cutting wires.
- They are friendly and slim.
- The spring and locking mechanism works great.
- The plastic handles may slide off easily.
Best Needle Nose Pliers:
2Pcs Extra Long Needle Nose Pliers Precision Wire Plier Repair Tool (6-Inch)
Item Weight: 3.17 ounces
Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.7 x 2.6 inches
Handle Material: Polyvinyl Chloride
This set contains 2 needle beak pliers that are useful for several daily household and Jobsite tasks. The carbon steel body gives them resistance to corrosion from acid and alkalis. The PVC handle provides a comfortable and secure grip.
You can use them for several repair and maintenance jobs such as electronic components and computers. They are also used in jewelry making, food and medical industries, and DIY crafts.
- The slender nose works for reaching small places and managing wires while soldering.
- These pliers look and feel very sturdy.
- They are well made and precise.
- They are resistant to corrosion from acids and alkalis.
- They are suitable for small tasks, but they are not heavy-duty tools.
Best Insulated Pliers:
Klein Tools 94130 1000V Insulated Screwdriver Tool Set with #2 Phillips and 1/4-Inch Cabinet Slim Tips, 2 Pliers and Wire Stripper
Brand: Klein tools
Item Weight: 1.25 pounds
Product Dimensions: 9.62 x 2.45 x 0.62 inches
This Klein tools insulated kit features five sophisticated tools for everyday use, including two pliers, a wire stripper, and two screwdrivers. All the tools comply with the ASTM F1505 and IEC 60900 standards for insulating tools. This toolset is excellent for people who work with electric wires to provide optimum security from live wires.
In this set, the pliers come with induction hardened cutting knives for cutting all sorts of wires and cables. The screwdrivers are slim tip #2 Phillips and ¼ inch cabinet tip. Both of them are designed to reach tighter spaces.
- All pieces are designed for precision and durability.
- The set comes at a reasonable price and costs cheaper than individual items.
- The products come with the outstanding quality promised by Klein tools.
- This is an ideal toolkit for electricians.
- The pliers are not suitable for steel wires.
Best Locking Pliers
Milwaukee 48-22-3402 Torque Lock Curved Jaw Locking Pliers Set (2 Pieces)
Item Weight: 2.5 pounds
Product Dimensions: 0.9 x 6 x 9.5 inches
Milwaukee excels in making the locking pliers. Whether you work in plumbing, carpentry, or any other field where heavy-duty pliers are your absolute necessity, grab this set for complete convenience. This set features two seven and 10-inch torque lock pliers to help you accomplish various applications at your Jobsite.
The rubberized ergonomic handle offers maximum control even if you are working in slippery environments without tiring your hands. A screw-on back controls the locking mechanism and lets you keep the pliers shut at your convenient level. The strong locking jaws ensure a firm grip. This set is an outstanding performer, only what you can expect from Milwaukee.
- Very heavy-duty pliers set suited for Jobsite or workshop.
- Versatile pliers can be used for several different tasks.
- The tightening knob is more efficient than the traditional metallic ones.
- They feature an exclusive torque lock design for greater efficiency.
- Beware of the cheap counterparts made in China!
Our Top Pick
CHANNELLOCK PC-2 Pro’s Choice 4 Piece Plier Set
Finally, our solid, reliable, USA-made original Channellock excels in the tool manufacturing industry. The Channellock Pro’s Choice set features a 9.5” Tongue and Groove, 8” Long Nose, 7” HL Diag Cutting Pliers, and 8” Slip Joint. These essential pliers are packaged in an organizing tray for convenient storage.
These heavy-duty pliers are made from superior quality forged high carbon steel that will last for years without bending, breakage, or corrosion. Fit for all heavy-duty tasks, they provide a reliable and secure grip. These versatile pliers are enough for almost all daily routine tasks at your Jobsite.
The blue handle is rubberized and provides an ergonomic, secure grip. The handles are comfortable enough to prevent tiredness even after hours of work.
- The laser hardened teeth provide a firm grip.
- A patented reinforced edge reduces the chance of stress breakage.
- Premium quality carbon steel is coated for rust prevention.
- The set can fit almost all sorts of jobs.
- No cons are found, and we can say that Channellock pliers are as reliable as ever.
How to choose the best plier and Plier sets – Buying Guides:
Before buying pliers, you have to consider the following factors to make the best of your money.
It is necessary to determine the purpose for which you are going to buy the pliers. The amount of pressure your job will exert on the pliers should not exceed their endurance level. If you want pliers for heavy-duty jobs, select the sturdy ones. You don’t want your tools to bend, break or snap under pressure just after a couple of uses.
Most often, pliers are made from steel. There are several steel types, and they differ in strength and durability of each other. It is necessary to read the product’s description to know about the materials used in its manufacture. Popular brands usually chose high-quality materials for their tools to last longer without breakage or corrosion.
The required convenient size of the pliers also depends on the type of job they will be doing. Longer handles are better if you need extra leverage. Shorter handles are suitable for jobs that require precision.
Pliers do their job by their teeth. They grip and hold objects tightly whenever required. If you buy pliers with non-hardened teeth, the teeth will likely start to wear down. This will decrease the holding ability of your pliers.
The shape and type of teeth also determine the kind of work you can take from the pliers. It is better to organize your tools properly after use to reduce damage from wear and tear.
Pliers Jaw Style:
Pliers come in various jaw styles; each one is designed for some specific tasks. Most common are curved jaw pliers and long nose pliers. Curved jaw pliers are useful in loosening nuts, screws, and bolts, which are stuck and need to be removed. Long-nose pliers help handle smaller objects and places where other pliers can’t reach.
Locking pliers are also very beneficial, and they are an essential part of a modern toolbox or tool belt. They feature a locking mechanism that enables you to lock the pliers in place. They will remain closed unless you release their lever. This frees up your hands for various other tasks at hand.
Which Pliers Do I need:
The nature of your job determines the type of pliers that you need. Most people often need more than one kind of pliers. In this case, you can choose a set of pliers. But the set you want to purchase must contain everything that you may utilize. Don’t spend on extra pieces; this will eventually burden your pocket. Most of the standard sets will have lineman pliers, long-nose pliers, diagonal pliers, and slip-joint pliers.
Using pliers means you are applying a lot of pressure on your hands. Therefore the handle must have an ergonomic design to fit the hands. A rubberized grip provides better slip resistance, even when the hands become sweaty. The material and shape of the handle must be comfortable to the hands to prevent excessive fatigue.
Pliers and plier sets are available at low prices, or you may also find the pricey ones. You can even grab a bunch of half a dozen pliers for only $15. But our top priority is durability – especially if slip and groove joint pliers are involved.
You can find a decent quality 3-piece set for about $20. A 5-6 piece set may cost you around $40 to $60. Heavy-duty sets intended for professional purposes can cost as much as $150 for a single set.
Your toolbox is incomplete without a set of pliers. Heavy-duty, versatile pliers are a simple tool for both hobbyists and professionals. They come in use for small tasks around the house and specialized functions at the Jobsite.
It is not difficult to find pliers that promise excellent durability. Considering the materials, steel jaws, and handle quality is crucial when deciding on a handheld plier. Each type of plier is developed for its specific purposes, and they should be used accordingly to get the best results.
Our Recommended Brands:
- Channellock – Best Durable
- Klein Tools – Best Budget
- Knipex – Best Reliable
- Milwaukee – Best for professional use
- FastPro – Best for DIY use
Thank you for reading!