Flat Head Screwdriver
By: John Garcia | Date Posted: November 18, 2022
Table of Contents
- The Screwdriver’s History
- A Most Versatile Tool
- How to Use a Screwdriver Properly
- Best Flat Head Screwdriver[+]
A flat-head screwdriver is a screwdriver with a flat, wedge-shaped tip. It is used to tighten or loosen screws with a straight, linear notch in their heads.
A flat-head screwdriver is a tool that is probably used more than any other. One or two are in every junk drawer. Even though it looks different, the idea is always the same. A handle of some kind will be attached to a flattened steel shaft that ends in a wedge shape. This flat tip is just the right size to fit into a straight head slot of a screw with a similar shape. For screws with slots of different sizes, there are different sizes of screwdrivers.
The Screwdriver’s History
This tool is so old that it was first discussed in the 1500s. The modern flat-head screwdriver was probably made in England around 1744. At that time, it was called a “turn-screw,” which was a type of bit used in a carpenter’s brace-and-bit tool. The first hand-held version was made in the United States in the 1800s. For the next 130 years or so, only the flat-head version was used until Henry F. Phillips got a patent for the Phillips’s head.
A Most Versatile Tool
The flat-head screw was the first of its kind, and while not perfect, it is ubiquitous enough that a flat-head screwdriver is almost always needed for removing or installing it. However, a flat-head screwdriver is still useful occasionally, even if other screwdriver tips, such as Phillips heads, square drives, pozi-drives, and Torx-type heads, have mostly supplanted it.
The flat-head screwdriver, while being (or perhaps because of being) one of the most ubiquitous tools, is also one of the most misused. When several other instruments are unavailable, it is frequently substituted. Handymen and smart or impatient women can use a flat-head screwdriver as a chisel, a nail puller, a paint scraper, an awl, or a small pry bar. True do-it-yourself experts know that an old flat-head screwdriver may be repurposed for a wide variety of tasks by just being ground down, bent, filed, or otherwise modified.
You have to be careful, though, when you leave the tool’s comfort zone. If you pry too hard, the end of the tool could break off, leaving you with nothing more than a fishing weight. The handle may also break into pieces if you use it as a chisel and hit the end with a hammer. A flat-head screwdriver with a broken handle is the least useful tool you could have. Maybe that’s the only time it will ever be thrown away.
How to Use a Screwdriver Properly
Many different-sized flat-head screwdrivers exist; pick the one in your toolkit whose blade is the best fit for the screw slot you’ll be using. As the size of a flat-head screw rises, the thickness of its tip becomes increasingly important. There is a wide range of thicknesses and widths for flat-head screwdrivers, so you may find one that fits perfectly in the slot of a certain screw. Because a flat-head screwdriver’s main downside is that it often slips out of the screw slot, picking one that fits perfectly is essential for proper use. The screw’s slot should receive the blade entirely, with very little play. To be sure, this is simply one of the numerous low-cost instruments you should have at your disposal.
Best Flat Head Screwdriver
1. HXSNEW Magnetic Screwdriver Set 10 PCS
- Brand: HXSNEW
- Head Style: Phillips Head and Flat Head
- Material: Chrome Vanadium Steel
- Color: Blue
Screwdriver sets are available in various sizes and are essential for home use. They are very suitable for the maintenance needs of household electronic products, furniture, automobiles, motorcycles, bicycles, and other household products.
There are 5 specifications of Phillips screwdriver in the package, which are suitable for screwing different sizes of screws. The head of the screwdriver has a magnetic function, which is very easy to absorb screws. The set is equipped with a magnetizer/ demagnetizer to meet different user requirements.
- Great set of screwdrivers
- It’s really just a set of ‘household’ screwdrivers
- This set of screwdrivers was perfect for taking apart a vacuum cleaner
- De-magnetized and could not be magnetized again
- Soft tips make these screwdrivers crummy
2. VHEONET Magnetic Screwdriver Set 10 PCS
- Brand: VHEONET
- Head Style: Flat, Phillips
- Material: Chrome Vanadium Steel
- Color: 10PC-Green
5 Phillips and 5 Flat Head, this Screwdriver set is a good choice for both professionals & amateurs. Black Oxidating Strong Magnetic Tip can effectively prevent rust, Making screws easier to absorb. Prevents losing or dropping small screws for optimal the best handling and fastener control.
Premium CR-V Steel (Chrome Vanadium Steel) Screwdriver Bar for enhanced durability and toughness & excellent corrosion resistance, Screwdriver bit is not easy to wear. The handle is made of Soft PP + TPR material, and its shape is ergonomically designed, with an anti-slip and comfortable Grip handle.
VHEONET Magnetic Screwdriver Set 10 PCS
- 【Multifunctional Tool Set】VHEONET 10 PCS Magnetic Screwdriver Set is suitable for any needs such as domestic appliances, furniture, electronic products,...
- 【10 Different Sizes Screwdriver Kit】5 Phillips and 5 Flat Head, this Screwdriver set is a good choice for both professionals & amateurs.Black Oxidating Strong...
- 【Non-slip Handle & Ergonomic Design】Premium CR-V Steel (Chrome Vanadium Steel) Screwdriver Bar for enhanced durability and toughness & excellent corrosion...
- 【GIFT:2-in-1 Magnetizer/Demagnetizer Tool】Adjusts the magnetism of the screwdriver tips flexibly. Sliding and Turn the screwdriver in the center or top of the...
- These are very helpful
- These are nice and came in a small package to help you organize them
- Versatile & comfortable in the hand
- The magnifier is weak
- These magnetic screwdrivers could not even hold the very lightest screw
3. Jetech Strike Cap Go Through Screwdriver Slotted 5x100mm
- Brand: Jetech
- Head Style: Flat, Hex
- Material: Alloy Steel
- Item Dimensions: LxWxH
The S2 steel shaft is of great shock resistance. Overall, heat treatment adds extra strength and durability to it. Its nickel and chrome plating brings rust and corrosion resistance. A steel core goes through the whole screwdriver, transferring the force from the striking cap to the tip while striking, which protects the tool and facilitates your work.
Made with S2 steel, the go-through shaft is further hardened by overall heat treatment for extra strength and durability. The striking cap is made of carbon steel with chrome plating, making it more durable to stand the impact for striking. Easily attracts and lifts the screws from confined areas to improve one’s working efficiency.
- DURABLE SHAFT - The S2 steel shaft is of great shock resistance. Overall heat treatment adds extra strength and durability to it. Its nickel and chrome plating...
- GO-THRU STRIKING CAP - A steel core goes through the whole screwdriver, transferring the force from the striking cap to the tip while striking, which protects the...
- ERGONOMIC NON-SLIP TPR HANDLE - Made with quality thermoplastic rubber (TPR), the handle provides a secure and comfortable grip.
- MAGNETIC TIP - A magnetic tip makes it more convenient for your work. It easily attracts and lifts the screws from confined areas, saving your time and improving...
- It works great as designed
- Worth the money
- Felt good in my hands
- The screwdriver couldn’t get a tight screw out
- Poor quality product
4. NEIKO 01378A Magnetic Screwdriver Set
- Brand: Neiko
- Head Style: Phillips and Flathead
- Material: Chrome Vanadium Steel, Alloy Steel
- Color: Blue and Black
If you are looking for a complete screwdriver set, the NEIKO 01378A has all your must-have screwdrivers for any tool kit. From DIYers to mechanics, this tool set is a must-have. These simple screwdrivers have multiple-sized shafts for all your needs. The convenient set contains both Phillips head screwdrivers and flathead screwdrivers to keep in your garage or toolbox. These hand-operated tools are used for turning screws. Magnetic tips allow the user to place screws onto the tip of the screwdriver and have it remain attached to the screwdriver while being inserted and installed into a fastening position
Magnetic tips are strong enough to retrieve steel screws from a bin. Magnetic tips are strong enough to double this screwdriver as a magnetic pickup tool to retrieve screws from hard-to-reach areas. Electricians and other mechanics can easily remove a fastener once unscrewed by simply lifting the screwdriver out of the workspace. There are certain conditions when installing a screw in a recessed area that may be difficult, and a magnetic screwdriver will eliminate that issue.
- DURABLE: Constructed of heat treated high hardened CR-V steel for a long lasting non slip fit that prevents stripped or rundown screws.
- MAGNET: Black finished magnetic tip holds your screw, even in upside down situations. Gives better control and allows putting force into driving a screw.
- LONG & SHORT: Complete set ranging from lengths between 4”and 8-3/4 inches. Long screwdrivers for hard to reach fasteners and tough spots with stubby screwdrivers.
- ERGONOMIC: Blue cushion contoured grips made of thermoplastic rubber (TPR) for a comfortable and controlled grip in higher torque applications.
- This is a nice way to get a selection of screwdrivers for not much money
- Really nice quality set of screwdrivers
- Feel good in the hand, materials do not appear cheap
- Slightly disappointed with the screwdrivers
- This is ridiculous
5. Magnetic Screwdriver Set 18 PCS
- Brand: XOOL
- Head Style: Flat, Phillips
- Material: Metal
The screwdriver bar is made of chromium-vanadium steel, stronger and tougher than most carbon steel, it is chromium plating treated for corrosion resistance and durability. The engraved types on the surface of all screwdrivers enable you to identify or recognize them quickly.
XOOL 18-piece screwdriver set is a high-quality and practical set kept at your home or in your workshop. Each piece is commonly used in repairing or assembling domestic appliances, including washing machines, refrigerators, air conditioners, televisions, stereos, and more. It allows you to choose the appropriate screwdrivers to handle different situations.
- 【Excellent material】Screwdriver bar is made of chromium vanadium steel, stronger and tougher than most carbon steel, it is chromium plating treated for corrosion...
- 【Ergonomic Design & Magnetic Tip】XOOL 18-piece screwdriver set is made in accordance with ergonomics design. The grip is made of PP and TPR material, which make...
- 【Different Size】XOOL 18-piece screwdriver set with 9 Phillips screwdrivers and 7 flat-tip screwdrivers in different sizes. Besides 16 pieces screwdrivers, it...
- 【Storage Case】 All pieces are kept in a portable case which provides quick access, well organization and easy storage for you. Each slots in the storage case...
- This is a nice little set with a nice assortment of screwdrivers
- It’s all plastic with no metal hinges
- The blow-molded case is actually fairly nice
- The magnetic attachment is weak and doesn’t work
- Not happy with the quality
Thank you for reading!