By: John | Date Posted: October 14, 2022
Do you want to create something new? Take a look at some DIY initiatives that are both appealing and practical. The best part is that you only need a few common tools and some good old-fashioned elbow grease to make them instead of a fully equipped woodworking workshop and years of woodworking experience.
- 1 Make a Wooden Chopping Board and Serving Tray
- 2 WoodWorking Ideas
- 3 Keep Your Shoes Organized With This Shoe Storage Booster Stool
- 4 Make a Cheap Wooden Seating Area
- 5 Woodworking Projects
- 6 Stone-Top Patio Table
- 7 Perfect Patio Chairs
- 8 Create a Porch Trellis
- 9 Adirondack Chair and Loveseat
- 10 PSI Woodworking LCMPLUS Chisel Mate Plus Sharpening System
- 11 PSI Woodworking Products TM32 1/2-Inch Drill Chuck with #2 Morse Taper Arbor (1/2″ 2MT)
- 12 PSI Woodworking SPSETMOD Modular Sandpaper System
- 13 PSI Woodworking PENPRESSXL Assembly & Disassembly Pen Press
- 14 WEN 3921 16-Inch Two-Direction Variable Speed Scroll Saw with Work Light
Make a Wooden Chopping Board and Serving Tray
Use this simple, stylish board to cut and serve your food. Get ready to learn a straightforward technique for dry-fitting the components, scribing the arc, and gluing everything together. When scribing the arcs, we used a 4-foot steel ruler, but a yardstick or any thin board would do the trick just as well. Here you can find detailed directions for completing this DIY woodworking project.
To prevent your board from breaking, you should avoid putting it in the dishwasher and use wood glue that is resistant to water. Also, try to bond the boards so they’re as uniform as possible so you can do less sanding afterward. In search of helpful advice on wood glue?
Keep Your Shoes Organized With This Shoe Storage Booster Stool
You can assemble this convenient stool in about an hour and then store it away. In addition to being a step, it can be used to access higher shelves. The shelving units can be constructed with a single 4×4 sheet of 3/4″ plywood, some wood glue, and a few 8d finish nails. Follow the diagram to cut the plywood accurately. Wood glue the seams, and then use 8d nails to secure them. Nail first through the front and then the back. After that, hammer nails through the back and sides to secure the top. The last step is to make a mark for the two shelves’ placement, then nail it into the sides from the inside.
Make a Cheap Wooden Seating Area
In a pinch for seating? Even if you have never picked up a hammer or saw before, you should be able to put together this iconic bench design by author and environmentalist Aldo Leopold in a few hours. Two planks of wood and some screws (less than $25 total) will do the trick. The straightforward directions for accomplishing the task at hand can be found below.
Stone-Top Patio Table
Even if you only have a tiny yard, this DIY outdoor furniture patio table can accommodate your drinks, your holiday reading material, and a tasty snack. Only a few common household items and a miter saw are required for this quick and easy project, which can be completed in under three hours. The cost will depend on the type of tile you choose for the countertop. Building a table like the one pictured here will cost you less than $30, and there are several materials from which to choose for the top, such as slate, granite, limestone, marble, or even ornamental tile. Depending on the item, you should expect to pay anywhere from $5 to $20+. Competence in using a counter-sink and other screw-driving techniques will be useful for this task.
Perfect Patio Chairs
These homemade patio chairs are ideal if you want to sit for outdoor events that won’t weigh you down. You can rest your drink or a small plate of snacks on the wide arms of these elegantly padded seats. This job will run you about $60 if you go with pine but upwards of $90 if you go with cedar. This do-it-yourself patio set takes minimal skill and materials, making it accessible to novice builders. Extensive knowledge is imparted, such as the proper use of a speed square to check the levelness of the legs.
Create a Porch Trellis
Latticework porch trellises are an excellent method to increase your home’s visual appeal and security for under a hundred dollars. Although cedar is used in this example, any wood that is resistant to decay, such as redwood, cypress, or treated pine, would work just as well. Compared to the standard prefabricated garden lattice, its level surface and elegant oval cutout significantly improve it. Assuming you know your way around a router, the hardest part of this job will be waiting around. Here you may find comprehensive instructions with pictures.
Adirondack Chair and Loveseat
This classic Adirondack chair and loveseat build is not only beautiful but also adaptable to your exact specifications. The rounded shape is made to support your back. You won’t have any trouble getting up from this chair, as the slope is less steep than the classic Adirondack design. DIY patio chairs and a love seat fashioned from pressure-treated timber may be further personalized by painting or staining. Backs might be curved, gable or circular, and fronts can be flat or angled. Simple tools are all you need, and you can have this beautiful wooden outdoor furniture set for around $20-$100.
PSI Woodworking LCMPLUS Chisel Mate Plus Sharpening System
- Material: Aluminum
- Brand: PSI Woodworking
- Item Weight: 2.48 Pounds
- Grit Type: Coarse
No grinder? No Problem! This complete chisel sharpening system resides on your lathe, ready to instantly sharpen any of your chisels on demand! Go from turning to sharpening with a moment’s notice. Get superior results because your chisels are sharpened on a flat sanding surface. You’ll have optimum control and visibility of your chisel’s bevel. It can also be used for many of your general sanding needs
The system includes 8″ Aluminium Backing Disc with a 1″ hole, 8″ Self-adhesive Hook & Loop Mounting Pad, (5) 80 grit 8″ Hook & Loop Sanding Discs with a 2″ hole, Adjustable Chisel “V” Guide Tool rest, 1″ x 8tpi Spindle Nut, (3) 1-3/4″ Washers, Instructions. Fits lathes with 1″ x 8tpi spindle and swing of 10″ or larger. The Adjustable Chisel “V” Guide Tool rest has a 5/8″ post. Replacement 80 grit 8″ Hook & Loop Sanding Discs (LCM80X) are available from Penn State Industries.
SalePSI Woodworking LCMPLUS Chisel Mate Plus Sharpening System
- Lathe is not included
- This complete chisel sharpening system resides on your Lathe; always ready to instantly sharpen any of your chisels; go from turning to sharpening in a moment's...
- Includes: 8" Aluminium Backing Disc with a 1" hole, 8" Self-adhesive Hook & Loop Mounting Pad, (5) 80 grit 8" Hook & Loop Sanding Discs with a 2" hole, Adjustable...
- Fits lathes with 1" x 8tpi spindle and swing of 10" or larger; Adjustable Chisel "V" Guide Tool rest has a 5/8" Post
PSI Woodworking Products TM32 1/2-Inch Drill Chuck with #2 Morse Taper Arbor (1/2″ 2MT)
- Brand: PSI Woodworking
- Material: Steel
- Included Components: 1/2″ Drill Chuck, #2MT Arbor, Chuck Key
The PSI Woodworking Products TM32 1/2-Inch Drill Chuck includes the 1/2″ Drill Chuck, Morse Taper Arbor, and a Jaw Tightening Key that help you easily hold drill bits, small turnings, dowels, pen mandrel shafts, and much more. As you will be able to tighten this tool with a chuck key, you will be able to get an excellent grip on it. It can also be removed easily with a knock-out bar.
Morse taper mount for Delta, Jet, PSI, and other Midi lathe headstocks and tailstocks. A 1/2-Inch diameter 3-jaw mechanism can be used to secure small turnings, pen mandrels at the headstock, or a drill bit in the tailstock. Accept a 1/4-20″ draw bolt (not supplied) for safety. Will hold drill bits up to 1/2-Inch in diameter. Drill chuck mounted in the #2 MT can be used in either the headstock or tailstock. Tightens with a chuck key(included) for excellent grip. Removed easily with a knock-out bar.
SalePSI Woodworking Products TM32 1/2-Inch Drill Chuck
- Includes the 1/2" Drill Chuck, #2 Morse Taper Arbor, and Jaw Tightening Key
- This 3-Jaw Chuck will mount into the headstock or tailstock of any lathe that accepts #2MT accessories
- The #2MT Arbor accepts 1/4" x 20tpi draw bolt; Draw bolt not included
- Removes easily with knock out bar
PSI Woodworking SPSETMOD Modular Sandpaper System
- Size: 1 inch x 20 foot
- Brand: PSI Woodworking
- Grit Material: Ceramic Alumina
- Compatible Material: Aluminum, Metal
PSI Woodworking is located in Northeast Philadelphia, where we have been supplying the woodworking industry for nearly 20 years. We are in the distribution of Pencrafting Supplies, Accessories, Turning Projects, and Mini Lathes. We also have a full line of award-winning Dust Collection Accessories for any wood shop or laser application. PSI has the widest variety and complete inventory of project kits in the USA. We have excellent support and hands-on personal service and are committed to meeting your needs.
Efficiently organize your pen-turning sandpaper with this metal dispenser and replaceable sanding strips; Use the keyholes for a wall mount or secure them on a worktable. The system includes (1) a metal dispenser with a tear-off bar & (6) grits of aluminum oxide sandpaper rolls in individual, replaceable clear blister packs. Each clear blister pack consists of a 1″ (inch) wide x 20′ (foot) long roll of sandpaper. Included (6) grits: 150 (SPSETB150), 240 (SPSETB240), 320 (SPSETB320), 400 (SPSETB400), 600 (SPSETB600), 800 (SPSETB800). Ideal for many small spindle woodturning projects.
PSI Woodworking SPSETMOD Modular Sandpaper System
- Efficiently organize your penturning sandpaper with this metal dispenser and replaceable sanding strips; Use the key holes for a wall mount or secure on a worktable
- System includes (1) metal dispenser with tear off bar & (6) grits of aluminum oxide sandpaper rolls in individual, replaceable clear blister packs
- Each clear blister pack consists of a 1" (inch) wide x 20' (foot) long roll of sandpaper
- Included (6) grits: 150 (SPSETB150), 240 (SPSETB240), 320 (SPSETB320), 400 (SPSETB400), 600 (SPSETB600), 800 (SPSETB800)
PSI Woodworking PENPRESSXL Assembly & Disassembly Pen Press
- Measurement System: Metric
- Manufacturer: PSI Woodworking Products
- Item Weight: 4 pounds
Assemble and disassemble pen parts on one easy-to-use tool; Acts as a traditional pen press to press your pen parts together; Disassembly function provides an invaluable way to take virtually any pen apart Included components: (1) press assembly with adjustment sled and handle, (6) disassembly rods, (1) spring-loaded stopper, 6″ of soft-grip tubing, (1) 7mm mechanism bushing for parts protection
Provides 250 lbs of pressure; Spring-loaded ram acts as a 3rd hand for quick, easy parts positioning; Sled mechanism slides the stop into position; Locking lever then securely locks the rod in place
- Assemble and disassemble pen parts on one easy to use tool; Acts as traditional pen press to press your pen parts together; Disassembly function provides invaluable...
- Included components: (1) press assembly with adjustment sled and handle, (6) disassembly rods, (1) spring-loaded stopper, 6" of soft-grip tubing, (1) 7mm mechanism...
- Provides 250 lbs of pressure; Spring-loaded ram acts as a 3rd hand for quick, easy parts positioning; Sled mechanism slides the stop into position; Locking lever...
- The (6) disassembly rods handle nearly all tube diameters and parts configurations, including pen tips and clips; Dedicated 7mm bushing allows for disassembly of any...
WEN 3921 16-Inch Two-Direction Variable Speed Scroll Saw with Work Light
- Brand: WEN
- Blade Material: High-Speed Steel
- Surface Recommendation: Wood
- Special Feature: Brushless
Remember when your scroll saw could cut in two different directions? Take on the most intricate and artful cuts with the WEN 16-Inch Variable Speed Two-Direction Scroll Saw. The 9/16-inch stroke saws through hard woods up to two inches thick. Adjust the speed anywhere from 550 to 1600 strokes per minute with the simple turn of a knob. The cast iron base prevents vibration and walking during operation, while the spacious 16-by-10-inch table bevels up to 45 degrees for an angled cut. The adjustable air pump clears saw dust from your work area to give you a clear line of vision as you cut.
The saw also includes a hold-down foot clamp for securing your project in place, along with a flexible work light that bends and adjusts to whatever position your heart desires. This unique blade holder accepts both pinned and pinless blades while also allowing users to change the direction of their cut to accommodate their particular workpiece. Simply pop the pins out of the front holder and turn the blade 90 degrees for pinned blades. Now, your cuts are no longer confined by the 16-inch throat of the scroll saw. On top of that, our removable pinless blade holder design tightly grips blades to prevent them from coming loose during operation. Onboard blade and holder storage creates simple organization solutions between jobs. And because it’s a WEN product, your scroll saw comes backed by a two-year warranty, a nationwide network of skilled service technicians, and a friendly customer help line, all to make sure you remember WEN.
- Unique design accepts blades in two directions (standard and 90 degrees) to allow for infinite ripping capacity
- Variable speed goes from 400 to 1600 strokes per minute
- Spacious 16-by-11-inch table bevels up to 45 degrees to the left for angled cuts
- Cuts wood up to 2 inches thick with a 16-inch throat depth in the standard position
Thank you for reading!